one word reviews of Movies and TV

Friday, September 21, 2012

Beginners

Beginners: Beautiful
(2010)

Put simply, Beginners is one of the most beautiful films I have seen in years.

It has been a long time since I have seen a film that hit a 10 on every level.

Directing ✔

Acting ✔

Story ✔

are all absolutely Beautiful.

The story is a unique one, which is nice to say. It has been a long time since a unique story like this has popped up on my "To watch list".  As well as a story that has character development!

So what is this story about? Well a son (Ewan McGregor) is told by his father that he is gay and has stage 4 cancer. A lot to take in for his son, who's own look on relationships has been stain by his fathers treatment of his own mother. The scenes between his mother and him, when he was young are heartfelt. Ewan also meets a girl at a party and is taken by her. She herself also has some parental problems. She also reminds Ewan of his own mother, in many different ways. The story of his struggle with life and its relationships to me are just flat out fascinating. Christopher Plummers performance is a joy to watch, as well as that dog that steals every scene he shows up in.

I tip my hat to Mike Mills. His writing and directing is simply beautiful. I look forward to his future projects.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Simplistic Reviews